Friday, January 29, 2010

My Snow Romance


Oh, snow, you blustery blizzard of flaky frost. Our love-hate relationship is tearing me up yet again. Why must you torment me this way? It's so exciting anticipating your arrival, will you, will you? Will life halt, ever so briefly, so that we can be together? You know how much I cherish the peace you bring when you first arrive, the freshness with which you cover everything, how exciting it is in the beginning of our time together...the freedom from obligations, the fun of your many unique activities, the crispness of first breaths taken in your beauty. And we spend hours together, actively sledding, making snowmen, or peacefully looking upon the glorious whiteness, enjoying each other's company so intensely for 24-48 hours.

And then, how quickly it goes sour. Every time, I think, this time it will last, but no, you're so cold...so cold it hurts. By the third day, you torment me with your glassy stare. I long for warmth again, and can't bundle up enough against your icy blast. And our relationship gets so ugly, dirty. I'm stressed by the time lost from work and life and you get so lazy. You just let yourself go, bulging in some places on the side of the street, or turning black from filth. We begin to turn on each other, you soaking my shoes in anger as you slowly melt away in spurts, me scraping you further away from my shelter and wishing you gone sooner and sooner. I retreat inside, and you slowly disappear.....

And then your gone. Finally, I say! It's warm again, we can go out, life returns to normal.....................and I realize, I miss you....terribly.....come again, soon, love!

3 comments:

E.B. said...

oh joni you're so poetic :)

Lindsay said...

I love this. So funny.

marfdrat said...

Very nice - you sum up the anticipation I've felt about snow since I was a kid. The prospect of it is so alluring; the reality of it, once you get older and have responsibilities, is pretty cruel. Makes you wonder why we get excited when we hear, once more, that it's on the way. Bet you didn't think your love would show up again so soon, huh?